The best tips for cruising come straight from our travel advisors who are loyal cruises! Our founder, Lindsey Epperly, grew up in the cruising life, which sparked her passion for travel! Megan Jones prefers to spend her time traveling on ships, as her favorite view is the open sea. Melissa Pugh actually worked onboard a Lindblad expedition, an experience she will never forget. For those first-timers or loyal cruisers, we’ve got the insight on how to elevate your on-sea travel experience.
1. Choosing a cruise is like match-making, find the one that’s best for you
- Cruise lines and waterway explorations all have their own personalities and unique characteristics. When it comes to choosing, let our travel advisors help you find the best experience that’s made for you. Be specific on what your expectations are for the experience, especially when it comes to the type of travel. Are you interested in easy, slow-living travel or are you craving adventure and wildlife?
2. Don’t pick your cruise based on price alone
- Make sure you compare apples to apples one what’s included. Premium cruise lines have higher price tags because they offer better value when you consider their all-inclusive gratuities, alcohol, shore excursions, and food prepared by top chefs
- When you’re on a cruise, the room view matters. Ocean views and balconies come with an upcharge for a reason: seeing daylight means you won’t feel nearly as claustrophobic as you may in an interior cabin. Want to feel even more comfortable? Consider upgrading to a junior suite or a suite for extra living space.
3. Plan your itineraries early!
- For both on and off board experiences, it’s best to set everything up in advance! Spa treatments, specialty restaurants, and port of call excursions can book up quickly and you don’t want to miss out.
4. Choosing your port of call excursions
- How you utilize your time at each destination can depend on your comfort level of travel and if you’ve traveled to these destinations before.
- Depending on the cruise line and your experience, sometimes we recommend sticking with the ship-sponsored shore excursions. These experiences and activities can be booked with groups or can be private based on preference. Luxury cruise lines offer incredibly tailored and unique experiences for the guests. Whether you’re a big foodie, a history buff, an art enthusiast, they have something for every kind of traveler.
- Don’t see an excursion you love through what the ship offers? We can always work with partners on the ground to customize your getaway even more!
5. Use a travel advisor (seriously, though)
- There are dozens of cruise lines and hundreds of itineraries to choose from. As advisors, we’re able to match you with the perfect type of ship based on your preferred onboard experience and dream destinations, which will save you a significant amount of time when it comes to the planning process.
- Does navigating staterooms feel as daunting as navigating the open seas? No fear. We’re here to help you select the best available stateroom for your preferences.
- Whether you’re new to cruising or a seasoned traveler, advisors can provide expert knowledge and guidance that you can’t find online. Need tips on how to tip? We’ve got you covered. Can’t decide between Seabourn and Silversea? We’re here to help with that guidance.
Photo Credit: Belmond Afloat in France
Ready to cruise? Let us curate your personalized on-sea experience!